Sunday, February 4, 2018

Phantom Thread is better than a fart on the head

Chris, great post.

Here's a bit of interaction.

"I don't know if the Reynolds/Alma relationship is healthy or not."

If this were a real life dynamic, it'd be totally f*cked up. As a narrative metaphor, I do believe that the relationship is healthy, especially mutually healthy by the end of the film.

I might be wrong, but right now I'm convinced that Alma is a purely positive character as presented by PTA.

Reynolds is selfish and self-centered. He delights in Alma, but at his worst it is because she serves his interests. When she gets in the way of his petty habits (not his work) and preferences, he will not budge.  Her dinner party is a desperate attempt on her part to force a loving confrontation, one that has him face himself and face her instead of allowing him to turn in on himself, waiting for her to disappear so that he does not have to do any hard emotional work. It IS an ambush. But he's so hard-hearted that he needs an ambush.

It is for HIS good, not hers. From the moment that Alma enters the relationship, she begins to serve Reynolds. She is the true helper fit to be by his side in ruling his slice of dominion. She submits to him. She serves him. She works for him. In one of the best scenes of the movie, she takes up the cause of the House Woodcock in a ferocious public display. She is protecting the honor and name of her beloved, stripping those who would take that name and wear it in vain. She never asks anything of Reynolds that is not the best thing for him. All of her moves increase his happiness, especially the ones that hurt the most.

Brandon wrote, "my personal favorite scene was towards the end where the doctor was checking Reynolds and he darts a batshit look at Alma."

I'm not sure which shot Brandon is referencing, but there is a very late shot of Reynolds smiling crazily at Alma which I think is the one he means; I saw it as Reynolds totally in love with Alma, finally mutually bowing in love to her. She has (forcibly!) demonstrated that he NEEDS to slow down, that he needs to experience love and joy more than he needs success and control.

He's now happily eating his mushrooms bathed in butter and his life could not be better.

So, yes, the film brings up all of the relationship questions that Chris highlights, and I think that it's richer than any of us can grasp right now. It certainly deserves repeat views. I was going to see it again this weekend, but stupid Regal stopped showing it. I'm hoping that it hits the Cinema Saver before disappearing from theaters entirely.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the relationship is healthy as a narrative metaphor. It's interesting that Phantom Thread hits on some of the same themes as Mother! though the former is obviously so much deeper and richer than the latter.

    I also love the scene when Alma basically goads Reynolds into going up to retrieve the wedding dress. She's more than just some subservient wife/girlfriend. Like Cyril, she picks her moments to get up in Reynolds' face and tell him what's what.

    I'll have to look for that scene that Brandon wrote about, too. I feel like it got laughs the two times I watched it, but I can't recall the exact facial expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I took that scene as the same vibe. Loved it. might be my fave of the year.

    ReplyDelete