Thursday, March 1, 2018

2017 Year in Review

My 2017 list: 

1) Phantom Thread
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

 Honorable Mentions: Hostiles, It Comes at Night, The Beguiled, Get Out

Phantom Thread is the only film I care about out of the 33 films I've seen from the year.

The four honorable mentions get mentioned here because they're the non-Phantom Thread films that have stuck with me, that I keep thinking about. I want to re-watch these. There was something about each one of them that kept me from loving them, but they stood out just the same. They stuck.

Other than those, I thought the year was forgettable. I've forgotten most of what I've seen. I don't care to revisit any of it.

[Weird exception. I feel lukewarm toward The Last Jedi, defending it sometimes, panning it others. I don't have any serious urge to re-watch it, but I know I will, sooner or later. Sooner or later the new Star Wars fever will pass and I'll be able to not feel like a little boy. But it's still got me in its grip for now. When is Solo?]

That's not entirely true that nothing was memorable. There are images and sequences from some other films, even films that I actively disliked, that have also stuck. But I don't think I even care enough to make a list. Bleg. Meh.

The good news is that 2017 could still be a great year. There are at least a dozen films I missed that I "must see" before writing the year off. And there are probably dozens more that I don't know of, that I may never know of. What I do know is that I'm not impressed with the critical consensus or the popular consensus this year.

Still cranky. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment