Tuesday, March 20, 2018

...always act from love.

"My weight is my love; by it am I borne wherever I am borne." -Augustine

I've been thinking about Good Time for 4 days now.

I don't even know that I can write out what I want to write out. I don't know how to do it. Kinda spoilerish paragraph below.

I was immediately drawn in by Safdie's performance as Nick. The opening of the film, through Nick's arrest and prison beatdown, held my attention like very little else has in the past year. Then, Nick is removed from the story and we follow Pattinson as Connie. As this middle portion meandered, I found myself increasingly irritated by its spiraling into action/crime mode, until the truly understated climax of that section, powerful because of its refusal to be a big moment, shifting attention from the capture to a contingent death, stressing the odd beat of fate. Then, the film shifts back to Nick, completing the frame, once again catching me off guard with my defenses lowered. I had heard the Iggy Pop already while going through the Pitchfork 100. Eh, whatever. But in the moment of the film, watching that oh-so-subtly powerful final scene, and then unexpectedly hearing that song as commentary over all that had gone before, I was wrecked and ruined in the best way, defenses down, crying over a movie. Catharsis, right?


1 comment:

  1. If we were all just making Top Two lists for 2017, Chris and I would have identical lists right now.

    2017 Top Two
    1) Phantom Thread
    2) Good Time

    ReplyDelete