Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Crap Car

I watched Cop Car on March 24th.

Then, I forgot to write about it.

I don't have much to say.

Overall, I think that the movie is stupid, but maybe also close to great.

One single sequence from the movie can demonstrate why I think it is stupid.

The sheriff is burying a body in the middle of nowhere.

The kids start up his car.

But the sheriff does not hear the car start. Maybe I'm too used to driving cars with loud exhausts to understand how quiet vehicles are now. It just seemed weird to me that he wouldn't hear a car start and drive off when he was just over the next hill.

I also disliked the kids cursing.

With a few adjustments, including cleaning up the language, slightly taming the violence (and there isn't much of it; the threat of violence and implied violence is more present than actual violence/gore), and tightening up the logic a bit, I could see this being a noir masterpiece. I kept imagining it shot in b&w by John Alton, starring Robert Mitchum. Bacon is no Mitchum, but he does give me a Mitchum vibe in this.

The kids being kids in a world gone bad is the reason this movie sometimes approaches greatness. I just think that it indulges its vices and falls short.

No comments:

Post a Comment